THIS sandwich is what’s for dinner! Or lunch depending on how you make it. Add grilled chicken for dinner, or slices of organic turkey deli- meat for lunch. Vegetarian? No problem, add extra bell peppers slices and some button or portabella mushrooms. Either way you make it it’s delicious!
- 2 organic red bell peppers roasted
- 1 loaf sourdough bread
- olive oil based mayonnaise
- 2 organic chicken breasts (or Organic turkey deli meat with no added nitrates, such as Organic Prairie)
- Mushrooms, portabella or button (*Vegetarian option)
- Pesto, store bought or homemade
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat chicken breasts with olive oil & a pinch of salt and pepper. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven & slice.
- Roast the bell pepper until it's skin bubbles. Approximately 10 minutes. Remove from oven and place in an airtight container or baggie for 5 minutes. Remove from container and remove skin. Slice bell pepper into strips and set aside.
- Combine pesto ingredients in food processor and process until almost smooth or use store bought pesto
- Take two slices of sourdough bread -on one side smear about a tablespoon of spinach pesto on the other slice of bread spread a very thin layer of mayo. Add slices of bell peppers, chicken & mozzarella cheese and sandwich!
- Place sandwich on a baking sheet & in the oven for about 10 or until the cheese has melted & the bread is golden brown. To make this true Panini style place a heavier pan or pot on top of the sandwiches to "smooth" it into Panini perfection!
I love pesto, but fresh basil can get horribly expensive! A few years ago, my boyfriend’s mom told me that she uses spinach instead of basil to make pesto, and I have done it that way ever since. If I have fresh basil around I will add it. Sometimes I even use a Tbsp of dried basil, just to give it that zip it needs.
- 3 cups organic baby spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1/4 cup organic parmesan cheese
- salt & pepper to taste
- dried or fresh basil (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.